Making your own flatbread is easier than you’d think. All it takes is combining yogurt, flour, and baking soda to get pillowy, tender flatbreads that can be a vessel for so many preparations. I love topping them with a swoosh of spiced yogurt and Harissa Lemon Chickpeas. If you want to skip the homemade flatbread, store bought is fine.
Make the spiced yogurt: Add the yogurt, lemon zest and juice, salt, cumin, and coriander to a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Make the flatbread: In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the yogurt and and use your hands to combine into a shaggy dough. Shape the dough into a ball and cover the bowl with a towel to let it rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. This will make the dough easier to roll out.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll the dough balls out into a 7-inch circle and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- Once the flatbreads are rolled out, heat up the chickpeas: Add the chickpeas and the liquid to a medium pot over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until warmed through, about 7 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron or stainless steel pan over medium-high heat. Working one piece at a time, add a dough round to the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until the dough puffs up and has a few golden brown spots. Flip the flatbread over with tongs and cook for another minute, until equally spotted. Repeat with the remaining flatbread.
- Place the flatbread on a plate and spread a fourth of the yogurt mixture over top. Spoon a fourth of the chickpeas over the flatbread and top with herbs. Serve immediately.