We all know that an ideal accompaniment to biscuits is baked beans. Well, considered this our newfangled take on the age old classic. The fruity apricot in the baked beans makes for a heavenly pairing with the sage and corn in the biscuits, which in turn, bake on top of the bubbling, glazy beans. Add a dollop of sour cream on top and voila - that's dinner!*
*If you're feeling like a leafy green, stir some chopped kale or collard greens into the beans before plopping the biscuit dough on top and baking!
- Heat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
- Add the butter, toss to coat in the flour, then use your fingers to rub and smush the butter until the size of peas.
- Add the sour cream and sage and stir until a wet, sticky dough forms. Refrigerate if the mixture is warm.
- Pour the beans into a large skillet or 9 by 13-inch or similar sized baking dish. Drop ½ cupfuls of the biscuit dough on top of the beans.
- Bake until the biscuits are browned on top, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool slightly, then eat the biscuits and beans with a spoonful of sour cream.